ANPR (Automatic Number-Plate Recognition) is a technology that uses optical character recognition on images to scan vehicle registration plates. ANPR can be used to save the images captured by the cameras as well as the text from the license plate.
Automatic number plate recognition is generally used by police forces throughout the world for law fulfillment basis, including to check if a vehicle is registered or licensed. It is also used for electronic toll collection on pay-per-use roads and as a method of indexing the activity of traffic for example by highways agencies.
Systems generally uses infrared lighting to permit the camera to capture the picture at any time of the day. Automatic number plate recognition technology must take into account plate differences from place to place.
Generally some of the vehicle registration plate’s arrangement use variations in font sizes and placing. ALPR camera solutions must be capable enough to deal with such differences in order to be truly powerful. More confused systems can deal with international differences, though many programs are individually modified to each country.
The cameras used in Automatic number plate recognition systems that can be closed-circuit television cameras, as well as mobile units, which are generally fixed to vehicles. Some systems use infrared cameras to take a high quality image of the plates.
Automatic number plate recognition system’s software runs on quality computer hardware and can be connected to other applications or databases.
ANPR camera solution follows two basic approaches:
• Allows for the whole process to be performed at the site in real-time
• Other transmits all the images from many lanes to a remote computer location to perform the OCR process.
The data captured from the Vehicle plate like alphanumeric, date-time, lane identification, etc. is completed in approximately 250 milliseconds. This data can easily be transferred to a far computer for further processing if required.
In the other sequence, there are commonly large numbers of PCs used in a server station to manage high workloads. In such systems, there is a need to forward images to the remote server, and this can require larger bandwidth transmission media.
Many countries now started using the license plates that are retro reflective. This returns reflected light back to the source and thus enhances the quality of the image. This is only achievable on committed automatic license plate recognition cameras.
• Automatic number plate recognition cameras are used to measure the average vehicle speed over longer distances
• Used to identify a motorist when he/she drives away without paying for their fuel
• Targeted advertisement
• Automatic number plate recognition cameras are used for Traffic management systems.
• Used to Analyze the behavior (route choice, origin-destination etc.) of a motorist for transport planning purposes
• ANPR camera solutions automatically recognize customers based on their license plate and provide them the complete information about the items that they ordered the last time they used the service.
• Automatic license plate recognition camera solutions are used to recognize the guest vehicles in order to assist visitor management systems.